Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I once worked in a Merchandising department for a large retailer, but what I really wanted was a promotion to the Buying Office. So I watched and waited, literally years, for an opportunity to come up in the Buying Office. Eventually a position for a trainee Buyer was advertised and I, along with many others, applied for it.


I got the position, and the head of the Buying Office said to me “Why didn’t you say you were interested in working with us? We wanted you in our department but you never expressed an interest. I don’t like to poach staff from other departments, but if I had known you were interested I would have made a place for you”.


I’m not saying you can wander about demanding any job you want, but it is worth having a quiet word sometimes and making your preferences known. At the very least you may get some useful advice and information. At best you may get a mentor who will help you achieve your ambitions.
       
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc






So make it known that you are ambitious, you are capable, and you are willing to work hard. You are seeking promotion and you are willing to move to another area if there is a promotion available.

2 comments: